The Sharing Our Roots team is made up of talented and experienced professionals from diverse backgrounds who are dedicated to building a food system that is equitable to all. If you share this passion, we encourage you to apply to our open positions:
Seasonal Farm steward
Job Title: Farm Steward
Hours: Full-Time (40hrs/wk) Seasonal (June 1- Sept 30); Some evenings/ weekends
Location: Sharing Our Roots Farm in Northfield, MN
Sharing Our Roots is seeking a Farm Steward to join our farm team. The Farm Steward will support perennial and general farm work. This work includes; planting, weeding, and mulching. Additional tasks include environmental stewardship, infrastructure improvements, and leading on-farm projects with farm interns.
SOR is an organization grounded in its land-based work. We envision a world where food and agriculture systems are profitable for farmers, fair to workers, beneficial to consumer health, restorative for rural communities and regenerative for the environment. The mission of Sharing Our Roots is to advance a resilient agriculture system that demonstrates the power to heal our lands, nourish our communities and prepare emerging farmers.
Include but are not limited to the following:
- Tending crops including watering, weeding, fertilizing and mulching
- Maintaining community spaces, wash/pack shed and tool/equipment storage areas
- Occasional event preparation and take-down
- Leading two interns in daily farm or field tasks
- Leading volunteer field work days at the farm
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Able to work both as part of a team and independently
- Detail oriented record keeping
- Driven and able to perform tasks to completion
- Willingness to learn and maintain a positive attitud
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and temperatures
- Ability to stand, kneel, and walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift 50 lbs repeatedly
- Wear appropriate field work clothing including closed toed boots
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Valid driver's license or proof of identification
- Experience working in certified organic or transitional organic production systems
- Ability to operate weed-whips, roto-tillers, and other farm equipment
- At least one year of experience working in a horticulture or agriculture position and/or relevant educational/work experience. Or, a demonstrated interest in diversified agricultural production and certified organic production methods.
- Bilingual/Second language skills: Spanish, Kiswahili
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- $15.00-$19.00 /hr DOE and demonstrated ability
- $250.00 stipend for work wear (i.e. boots, pants, etc.)
- Educational opportunities (ex. field days, workshops, etc)
Please send a resume and a cover letter explaining your interests and qualifications to email@example.com, with “Farm Steward: YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until June 1st, 2023.
“Sharing Our Roots is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically encourage people from a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to apply. Main Street Project does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.