The Sharing Our Roots team is made up of talented and experienced professionals from diverse backgrounds who are dedicated to building a food system that is equitable to all. If you share this passion, we encourage you to apply to our open positions.
Communications Coordinator - Full-time
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Position: Full-time, 40 hrs/wk
Reports to: Executive Director
Hybrid position: Can work remotely from home studio/office, must be able to visit the Sharing Our Roots Farm in Northfield regularly to document activities on the land.
SUMMARY Sharing Our Roots is a 501(c)3 food and agriculture non-profit organization and 100-acre farm based in southeast Minnesota. The farm is situated on the edge of Rice and Dakota Counties, and is home to much of our work including: research and demonstration, conservation, and community building. It is also a major land restoration site and a home base for emerging and immigrant farmers in our region. Together with farmers, partners, and supporters we are innovating a path towards a more just, resilient and healthy food system.
POSITION As Communications Coordinator you will be a valuable member of our team and make a difference in supporting emerging and immigrant farmers, food insecure communities and our local natural resources by leading a wide variety of communications projects. Through this role, you will ensure the implementation and success of Sharing Our Roots’ (SOR) visual storytelling and communications efforts. You will maintain the SOR brand and vision and be responsible for the creation, coordination and distribution of external communications, including email and print campaigns, marketing and fundraising materials and online and social media presence. You will also play a key role in engaging community on the Farm.
The ideal candidate is an innovative thinker who enjoys working collaboratively, is passionate about social justice and the environment and has demonstrated ability in engaging key partners, funders and communities of color.
Content Development & Distribution (35%)
- Lead role maintaining positive social media presence through ongoing, high quality content development and engagement with online community
- Ensure all media (print and online) is current and consistent with SOR brand guidelines, mission and values
- Lead coordination and development of monthly newsletters and blog working with other team members
- Lead coordination and development of annual impact report, fundraising campaigns, press releases and other external communications content working closely with Development Committee and partners
- Lead coordination and development of promotional materials for events, maintain events calendars and manage registration communications
- Maintain inventory of promotional materials for tabling box for special events
- Design print promotional materials including program brochures, flyers, and reports
- Support the design process of SOR merchandise (t-shirts, posters, stickers, etc.)
- Regularly attend events and visit the farm to document program activities to be able to develop sharable content (frequency varies by season)
Media, Public Relations & Partnerships (25%)
- Respond to media and general inquiries in a timely and professional manner
- Work with external vendors to print marketing and promotional materials
- Coordinate projects with contracted videographers, artists, graphic designers, writers and other communications experts
- Help build network of communications partners and media outlets and maintain high visibility for SOR by identifying local, regional, national, and international media opportunities and coverage
- Maintain updated communications contact directory and mailing lists
Communications Strategic Planning (20%)
- Facilitate bi-weekly Communications Meetings
- Oversee development and implementation of a Communications Strategy working closely with the Development Committee
- Collect and analyze social media, newsletter and website engagement data and produce quarterly reports to inform strategy
- Maintain calendars and tracking tools for content development and implementation
- Track and archive internal and published content and media coverage, and produce quarterly website traffic and social media engagement reports
- Maintain photo and video inventory on Google Drive
Development Planning & Implementation (15%)
- Participate in bi-weekly Development Committee Meetings
- Manage Annual Give to the Max Day (GiveMN) Campaign in November
- Support the planning and implementation of annual end-of-year ask
- Provide assistance with communications-related support to annual "Friendraiser" at the Sharing Our Roots Farm
- Work closely with the Operations Director on donor outreach and related tracking
Community Engagement (5%)
- Lead engagement of volunteer groups for field days at the Farm
- Co-lead with other staff our May to Oct, monthly public tours at the Farm
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Two year degree + 2 years experience in communications; and/or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit communications and/or marketing efforts
- Experience with graphic design, media platforms and software applications including, but not limited to: Google Suite, Mailchimp, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, Canva, LinkedIn, Meta Suite (Facebook & Instagram), and YouTube
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated work ethic with ability to multitask
- Self starter who can work both independently and as part of a team
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Must be able to visit the farm and gardens regularly (2+ times per week, seasonally)
- Familiarity with the food and agriculture sector
- Rural background, exposure to rural communities
- Experience working with communities of color
- Bilingual (English and Spanish/Swahili)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Expected salary is $42,000 paid on a bi-weekly basis. All payments are subject to mandatory employment deductions (state and federal taxes, social security and Medicare). Sharing Our Roots offers Paid Time Off (PTO), federal holidays, health insurance and professional development opportunities to full-time employees.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, 3-5 examples of communications work you’ve done (e.g. flyers, videos, blogs, newsletters, etc) and a cover letter explaining your interests and qualifications to email@example.com, with “Communications Coordinator: YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until February 13, 2023.
“Sharing Our Roots is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically encourage people from a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to apply. Sharing Our Roots does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.”
Applicants with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.