The Sharing Our Roots team is made up of talented and experienced professionals from diverse backgrounds who are dedicated to building a food system that is equitable to all. If you share this passion, we encourage you to apply to our open positions.
We currently have 1 open position.
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Position: Part-time, 25 hrs/wk
Reports to: Executive Director
Hybrid position: Can work remotely from home studio/office, must be able to visit the Sharing Our Roots Farm in Northfield regularly to document activities on the land.
Sharing Our Roots is a 501(c)3 food and agriculture non-profit organization and 100-acre regenerative farm based in southeast Minnesota. Together with farmers, partners, and supporters we are innovating a path towards a more just, resilient and healthy food system. Our farm serves many functions - aside from being a major land restoration project itself - it’s a place for research and demonstration, a sanctuary for wildlife and community and a homebase for emerging farmers and farmers of color.
As Communications Coordinator you will be a valuable member of our team and make a difference in supporting emerging and immigrant farmers, food insecure communities and our local natural resources by leading a wide variety of communications projects. Through this role, you will ensure the implementation and success of Sharing Our Roots’ (SOR) visual storytelling and communications efforts. You will maintain the SOR brand and vision and be responsible for the creation, coordination and distribution of external communications, including email and print campaigns, marketing and fundraising materials and online and social media presence.
The ideal candidate is an innovative thinker who enjoys working collaboratively, is passionate about social justice and the environment and has demonstrated ability in engaging key partners, funders and communities of color.
Content Development & Distribution (50%)
- Lead role maintaining positive social media presence through ongoing, high quality content development and engagement with online community
- Ensure all media (print and online) is current and consistent with SOR brand guidelines, mission and values
- Lead coordination and development of biweekly blogs and monthly newsletters working with other team members
- Lead coordination and development of annual report, fundraising campaigns, press releases and other external communications content working closely with Development Committee and partners
- Lead coordination and development of promotional materials for events, maintain events calendars and manage registration communications
Strategic Planning (25%)
- Facilitate weekly Communications Meetings
- Provide support to SOR team to ensure communications goals and objectives are met
- Oversee development and implementation of a Communications Strategy working closely with the Development Committee
- Collect and analyze social media, newsletter and website engagement data and produce quarterly reports to inform strategy
- Create calendars and tracking tools for content development and implementation
- Track and archive internal and published content and media coverage, and produce quarterly reports
Media & Public Relations & Partnerships (20%)
- Respond to media and general inquiries in a timely and professional manner
- Facilitate printing of brochures and other promotional materials with external vendors
- Coordinate projects with contracted videographers, graphic designers, writers and other communications experts
- Help build network of communications partners
- Maintain high visibility for SOR by identifying local, regional, national, and international media opportunities and coverage
General Tasks (5%)
- Maintain inventory of photo, video and art
- Maintain updated communications contact directory and mailing lists
- Maintain music stock licenses up to date
- Assist in other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Two year degree + 2 years experience in communications; and/or equivalent work experience required
- Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit communications and/or marketing efforts
- Experience with graphic design, media platforms and software applications including, but not limited to: Google Suite, Mailchimp, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube
- Data and trend analysis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated work ethic with ability to multitask
- Self starter who can work both independently and as part of a team
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Must be able to visit the farm regularly
- Familiarity with the food and agriculture sector (preferred)
- Rural background, exposure to rural communities (preferred)
- Experience working with communities of color (preferred)
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) (preferred)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Expected salary is $26,000 paid on a bi-weekly basis. All payments are subject to mandatory employment deductions (state and federal taxes, social security and Medicare). Sharing Our Roots offers Paid Time Off (PTO), federal holidays and professional development opportunities to part-time employees.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, 3-5 examples of communications work you’ve done (e.g. flyers, blogs, newsletters, etc) and a cover letter explaining your interests and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Communications Coordinator: YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
“Sharing Our Roots is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically encourage people from a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to apply. Sharing Our Roots does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.”
Applicants with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.